Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Home Remodel




We purchased our home back in 2000, when our family moved back to Utah, and I did some immediate wallpaper stripping, painting and window coverings just to make our house feel like "Home." This year, we took the plunge and decided to invest some real money into updating our home. I wish I had taken loads of before/after photos, but I rarely think about it until the job is complete. The 1st job was to replace 3 furnaces and 2 air conditioning units...some $13, 000.00 later...and all I can say is "Done!" Next on the list was new carpeting for the 2nd story level and the main floor offices & family room..."Love it!" Now, we're tackling the hardwood flooring in the formal living, entry, hallways and dining room. We didn't want a long term displacement of furniture so we decided to take 2 1/2 days to prep for the hardwood to be laid. When removing the tile, we discovered that it had been laid on 3 inches of concrete and mesh wiring. It has been physically taxing on my husband to do the job and is taking much longer than anticipated. We've pushed back installment for a full week and will probably take every bit of that time to have the prep work complete.

Discouraging? Some...but I have "vision" and can see the end result and it is going to be really beautiful when our home remodel is complete! There will be some painting, some furniture makeovers, kitchen/laundry cabinet makeover & new hardware, new lighting, master bedding replacement and lots of little details all on a shoestring budget. Then comes the home exterior! We've been in our home for 10 years, having done very little, and sacrificed to make this dream a reality...Okay, I confess that it is more "my dream" rather than my Sweetheart's, but he is patient, kind and I thank him with all my heart!

Finally...a little investing to alter a house into "Our Home!"

No comments: