Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Seafood Lover's Winter Soup

I Love Dining at our local Market Street Grill and their Clam Chowder is one of my favorites!
Last night, as the snow was lightly falling & the temperature dropping, there was nothing better than a pot of hot Homemade Soup & Toast...Absolutely Fabulous!!!
Market Street Clam Chowder (Serves 12)
Ingredients:
1 cup red potatoes, diced ½ inch (I diced about 5 good sized potatoes.)
1 cup celery, diced ½ inch (I diced 3/4 stalk of celery.)
1 cup onion, diced ½ inch (I diced 1 white onion.)
1 cup green pepper, diced ½ inch (I diced 1 large green bell pepper.)
1 cup leeks, diced ½ inch (I diced 2 leeks.)
¾ cup chopped clams (canned or fresh) (I used 3 cans of clams 5 0z each.)
¾ tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
1 ½ tablespoon salt
¾ tablespoon whole thyme (I used fresh thyme.)
6 bay leaves
1 teaspoon Tabasco
¾ cup dry sherry
2 cups water (I used about 5 c. water...Enough water to barely cover top of potatoes.)
¾ cup clam juice (drained from canned clams or purchased separately in can)
¾ cup butter, melted
1 cup flour
2 quarts half-and-half
Method:
Combine melted butter and flour in oven-proof container and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. (Sounds odd, but it is the easiest to do a thickening for cream based soup.)
In large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients except half-and-half. Simmer until
potatoes are thoroughly cooked. Stir butter-flour mixture into chowder and stir
until thick. Mixture will be slightly less thick than cookie dough. Remove
chowder from heat. Stir in half-and-half until blended. Heat to serving
temperature, stirring occasionally.Serve immediately.
Toast
Method:
Slice any kind of bread about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick...I prefer Artisan, French or Baquette. Arrange on baking sheet, laying flat. Spoon good Olive Oil on the top of each slice. Bake @ 350 degrees until bread slices are lightly golden...approx. 5 - 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Susie said...

This soup sounds very delicious. Lately I've actually been buying New England Clam Chowder ready made from Wholefoods, but I'll have to make this soup myself. Thanks for sharing the recipe.